Vada Pav How to make Vada Pav
Vada Pav is a popular Indian street food in the state of Maharashtra. It is a spicy potato pakoda (vada) stuffed into a bun (pav). Here is the complete process of making Vada Pav:
For the Potato Filling:
- 4 large potatoes, boiled, peeled, and mashed
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped (adjust to taste)
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8-10 curry leaves
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the Gram Flour Batter:
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- A pinch of baking soda (optional)
- A pinch of red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Water, as needed, to make a thick batter
Oil for deep frying
- Pav (small Indian bread rolls)
- Green chutney or tamarind chutney (optional)
- Garlic chutney (optional)
- Sliced onions (optional)
Prepare the Potato Filling:
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. let them splutter
- Add chopped green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida. Fry for a minute.
- Fry the ginger for a minute.
- Add Mash red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and potatoes. Massage well.
- Cook for a few minutes until the potato mixture is completely heated through and the spices are well combined.
- Add lemon juice and chopped coriander. Mix and remove from flame.
- Let the potato cool down.
Prepare the Gram Flour Batter:
- Mix gram flour, red chilli powder, a pinch of baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add water slowly and mix well to form a thick and smooth batter. Make sure there are no lumps.
Making the Vada Pav:
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan on medium flame.
- Shape the potato mixture into a ball or patty.
- Carefully drop the potato balls into the gram flour batter.
- Carefully drop the potato balls into the hot oil. Fry it until it turns golden brown. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- To remove oil from fried vadas, drain the oil on a paper towel.
Making the Pav:
- Slice the pav horizontally without cutting them all the way through.
- spread green chutney, tamarind chutney, or garlic chutney on the inside of the pav.
Making Vada Pav:
- Put hot vada in the pav.
- Optionally, add some chopped onions for flavor and crunch.
- Add chutney if you wish and serve hot.
- Enjoy your home made Vada Pav, a delicious and iconic Indian street food snack!
Also Read – Malai Kofta Recipe